New Product Development (NPD) Manager – Nutrition
Who We Are
Science in Sport Group is a world-leader in performance nutrition.
We have two highly regarded brands; SiS which combines world-class knowledge and scientific formulations to provide optimal performance solutions for endurance athletes, supplying over 320 professional teams worldwide. Brand ambassadors include former track cyclist Sir Chris Hoy.
PhD Nutrition is a premium active-nutrition brand targeting the active lifestyle community; fuelled by science our products help maximise performance, whether this is building strength, getting leaner, or everyday wellness. PhD brand ambassadors include leading strength and endurance athlete Ross Edgley.
The two brands sell through the Company’s phd.com and scienceinsport.com digital platforms, third-party online sites, including Amazon, and extensive retail distribution in the UK and internationally.
In 2022 the company opened a state of the art 160,000 square foot manufacturing and logistics facility in Blackburn, Lancashire. Providing a significant advantage in product costs and customer response time. And this allows Science in Sport to have the highest standards of quality.
Science in Sport is Performance Solutions partner to Ineos Grenadiers cycling team, Tottenham Hotspur, New York City and OGC Nice football clubs, in addition to being the Official Nutrition Partner to the Milwaukee Bucks, 2021 National Basketball Association Champions and in 2023, winner of the women’s marathon at the 2022 World Athletics Championships, Gotytom Gebreslase.
The purpose of the role is to develop, maintain, and update the new and existing product portfolio. You will have the responsibility of initiating, managing and reporting on key strategic projects to ensure new concepts are commercialised into saleable products. Your key stakeholders will be Manufacturing, Procurement, Compliance, Technical, Quality, Marketing, Brand, Science and Customer Service.
- Job Type: Full-time, permanent
- Salary: £40,000 – £45,000
- Working Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm
- Pension scheme, employer contribution at 4%
- Cycle to work scheme
- Hybrid working (minimum of 3 days in the office)
- Product discount
- Gym membership
- Seasonal ticket loan
- Employee discount vouchers
- Birthday day off
The Work – Your 4 most important responsibilities
- Management and delivery of key strategic projects
- Conducting lab-based recipe development and scaling up to production
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to keep them informed effectively on ideas and concepts
- Contributing to the business with world-class innovation
Accountability – what you are responsible for delivering
- Lead the technical delivery of assigned new product development, process and packaging innovations that contribute to delivering the growth requirements of Science in Sport
- Bench top recipe development and formulation of commercial and bespoke nutrition products for a range of sports applications including gels, bars and powders
- Oversee full-scale research and development and factory trials ensuring adherence to new product and technical processes
- Integration of food safety, legal and regulatory compliance for new product innovations working closely with the Technical and Supply Chain team throughout the new product development process
- Communicate and engage with Science and Marketing teams to ensure innovations remain consumer relevant and maintain auditable progress records of projects
- Liaise with external ingredient suppliers and co-manufacturers to develop new product launches whilst working to technical, operational and commercial controls
- Sample preparation and analysis of raw materials and finished products including nutritional, microbiological, shelf-life, osmolality and water activity
- Planning and delivery of product sensory panels
Capability – the skills and behaviours required to do this job well
- Interpersonal skills, building strong relationships with key ingredient suppliers, co-manufacturers and internal stakeholders
- Time management and prioritisation skills
- Proficient with excel and Microsoft package
- Analytical with great attention to detail
- Lab etiquette
- Collaboration within the New Product Development team and ability to work cross-functionally
- Knowledge of food science and nutrition, particularly of carbohydrates, proteins, amino acids, vitamins and minerals in relation to sport
- Knowledge of food microbiology, food additives and functional ingredients
- Familiarity of EU Food Law and Health Claim Regulations
Performance – how you will know you are doing a great job
- 100% of projects managed through from conception to launch in a timely manner
- Commercially successful product launches and reformulations on agreed KPI’s
Specific metrics will be set when in role and will be reviewed and built upon regularly. Alongside this, you will be supported with a personal performance plan that will enable you to continue improving your own performance and impact.
Attributes – experience and mindset that will enable you to do well in this role
- In a similar role working on powders, gels and bars is desirable
- Managing and motivating a team
- Managing projects successfully with a proven track record of bringing commercially successful food or nutrition products to market is desirable