U21 Athletic Development Coach
JOB TITLE: U21 Athletic Development Coach
DEPARTMENT: Sports Science & Athletic Development
REPORTING TO: U21’s Head Coach & Head of Academy Sport Science & Physical Fitness
LOCATION: Chelsea FC Training Ground, Cobham.
CONTRACT: Full time permanent role
JOB FUNCTION: The U21 Athletic Development coach is a crucial member of our academy performance team and our wider community of practice across the CFC campus. This role is responsible for providing a physical performance service to U21 players with the highest quality of training prescription and delivery to ensure each player has the opportunity to maximise their physical potential. Lead on the implementation of off-field athletic development programs, integrating monitoring and testing data, and ensuring delivery to the highest of standards. Ultimately, to build robust, adaptable and creative players capable of dealing with the rigours of high intensity training and match play.
As a member of the Chelsea team you will become part of a long and proud history in the heart of iconic west London, which dates back to the club’s founding in 1905. Since that time the club has won every major domestic and international trophy, being crowned English, European and world champions in the process.
Chelsea are a club which proudly strives to be the best in everything we do, on and off the pitch, as shown by the further success of our Women’s and Academy sides, as well as the excellent work in the community undertaken by the Chelsea Foundation, while engaging with our many supporters from a wide range of backgrounds at home in the UK and around the world.
If you’re motivated and want to help us win more trophies, you’ve got a place here at Chelsea!
- Lead on the planning and delivery of personalized off-field athletic development programs, in line with the athletic development methodology, considering the individual needs and ensuring a smooth transition through the PDP and into the Men’s game
- Lead on athletic skill development within the U21 squad, ensuring players continue to grow their physical literacy and achieve optimal transference from gym to pitch. Players should be adaptable and creative in their ability to deal with the chaotic movement demands of football.
- Contribute as an important member of the wider S&C community across the Chelsea FC Campus providing insight in areas including: Long-term athletic development, strength, power & speed development, athletic skill and rehabilitation.
- Create a positive gym environment that integrates sports technology, creates competition and increases motivation
- Lead on the planning and delivery of pre training athletic prep sessions, designed to promote robustness and continued athletic skill development, through creative and innovative coaching content and delivery styles.
- Develop holistic individual physical profiles for all U21’ players, ensuring engagement with players and the wider coaching team.
- Work alongside the Lead Academy Nutritionist to ensure players receive optimal support to achieve their developmental and performance objectives whilst optimizing health and wellbeing.
- Contribute to the continual education of our players ensuring they are involved in the planning and implementation of their program and strive to develop player autonomy. Provide regular feedback and engagement with data to track progress and encourage accountability.
- Support the medical department throughout the rehabilitation process, by acting as an integral part of the multi-disciplinary team. Contribute towards the planning, delivery, monitoring and ongoing decision-making process, to support a players timely transition back into training and long term health and robustness.
- Assist with the evolution of our off-field athletic development philosophy and physical profiling within the PDP
- Support the Lead U23 Athletic Development Coach with the delivery of on-field athletic development sessions and warm-ups
- Post graduate qualification Sport Science, Strength & Conditioning or Equivalent
- BASES Accreditation (Supervised Experience route or direct route)
- UKSCA Accreditation (Or Equivalent)
- Must have extensive experience in the design and implementation of S&C programs with elite athletes (At least 5 years)
- Must display a keen interest in youth development and have an understanding of the unique requirements of elite youth athletes
- Must have experience working within football or display a strong understanding of the physical and skill demands of the sport.
- Must be a competent coach who displays creativity, adaptability and the self-awareness to utilize a variety of different coaching styles.
- Able to work flexible hours such as evenings, weekends and bank holidays
- Must be guided by strong scientific principles and be comfortable problem solving through a scientific perspective.
- Must be competent with the use of sports technology to enhance physical development
- Must be able to effectively communicate with young adults and coaches, and have the ability to build meaningful, strong strategic relationships.
- Must be able to communicate complex data in terms that are easily understood by a wide range of audiences
- Must be able to implement innovative ideas and demonstrate a growth mindset
- Must be able to work within a multi-disciplinary team
- Must be able to be challenged without taking personal offence
- Must be able to work within the constraints of the academy behaviour model
What We Offer:
Our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
At Chelsea we recognise that the diversity of our people is one of our greatest strengths and we are taking positive action to ensure our existing colleagues and job applicants can fully be themselves and bring their own unique experiences and perspectives to Chelsea FC. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
If you need reasonable adjustments made to the recruitment process, please reach out to your recruiter, who will be able to advise and support you.
Chelsea FC and the Foundation is fully committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of all children, young people and adults at risk (vulnerable groups). We therefore require all successful applicants to complete a DBS Check prior to starting employment. Depending on the role, successful applicants may also be required to undergo other child protection screening where appropriate.